from Western Towing – www.westerntowing.co.uk
A change in the number plate law came into effect from 1 January 2003 (amended on 1st December 2005) aimed at reducing the ease at which fake number plates can be obtained by thieves who wish to attach them to stolen vehicles.
Unfortunately, the law is causing problems in the caravan and trailer industry. Proof of identification and entitlement is now required to purchase a single number plate i.e. for a trailer, caravan or cycle rack lighting board. Believe it or not, even if your car requires a replacement number plate due to, say a crack in it, you will still have to show proof of ID and ownership.
Please remember that if you require a number plate you will need to take some documentation to a registered number plate supplier. The combination of documents must be sufficient to check your name, address and entitlement.
The acceptable documents for verification of personal details are one of the following:
- Current driving licence whether or not issued in the United Kingdom (with or without a photograph)
- Current bill issued by an electricity, gas or water supplier, a land-line telephone bill or council tax bill.
- Bank or building Society statement.
- Passport (whether issued or not in the United Kingdom)
- National identity card issued by the Government of a state or territory other than the United Kingdom.
- Debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society (the requirement for a photograph no longer applies).
- Police warrant card or Armed forces identity card.
The acceptable original documents to establish entitlement to the registration mark are one of the following:
- Registration Document (preferred)
- The tear-off slip (V5C/2) from V5C (Section 10)
- Certificate of entitlement to a mark
- Cherished transfer retention document
- Vehicle licence renewal form
- Temporary registration certificate (V379)
- Authorisation Certificate with official DVLA stamp
- A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C. Just quoting the vehicle identification number is no longer acceptable.